- Business Insider analyzed the tech jobs in the San Francisco Bay Area that pay the highest salaries.
- The Bay Area is the hub of the tech industry, and it’s where many of the world’s most prominent tech companies, like Apple, Google, Facebook, and Netflix, were founded, creating an ultra-competitive market for tech talent.
- We analyzed the data for over 35,000 active foreign worker-visas in the San Francisco Bay Area. Companies seeking foreign workers must disclose salary data for particular jobs when they seek visas.
- For this list we focused on jobs paying above $240,000. Some of the tech industry salaries in the Bay Area went as high as $650,000.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The San Francisco Bay Area is the hub of the tech industry. It’s where founders from all over the world come to start companies, and where some of the world’s most prominent tech companies, like Apple, Google, Facebook, and Netflix, were founded.
That’s created a competitive job environment, with companies willing to pay big bucks to attract top talent, with some salaries surpassing half a million dollars a year, according to a Business Insider analysis.
While tech companies generally don’t reveal reveal employee salary and compensation, except for its very top executives where it’s required by federal regulations, American companies have to disclose salary data when they apply for visas on behalf of current or prospective foreign workers. The Office of Foreign Labor Certification collects and processes those applications and publishes the salaries every year.
We analyzed the data for over 35,000 active foreign worker-visas in the San Francisco Bay Area, including the city of San Francisco, numerous cities in Silicon Valley, and surrounding cities, to find some of the highest paid jobs at technology companies in the area. For this list we focused on jobs paying above $240,000. (Notably, the data covers annual base salary not total compensation, which can include bonuses or stock awards). Of note, Google accounted for 13% of the active visas on the list.
It’s not a comprehensive look at San Francisco Bay Area tech salaries because it only includes data for foreign workers, but it gives some rare insight into how much companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Cisco and others pay for top tech talent.
These are 21 of the highest-paid tech-industry positions in the San Francisco Bay Area: