When it comes to sports wear, glasses are a must. But choosing the right spots for glasses is not as easy as it seems. While getting protection for your eyes is important, it is also important to look for sportswear that looks good on your face.
Face shape is an important consideration when it comes to determining the glasses that can be suitable for you. Many times, sports glasses look good on the display, but when you put them on, you may be disappointed.
Snug-fitting stylish eye frames that also improves your appearance will make you feel comfortable as well as confident. In fact, wearing cool eyewear gives sports people an extra jolt to push harder at their favourite sports. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that safety should be the first aspect that you need to keep in mind when choosing an eyewear for sports.
So, once you choose an eyewear that is suitable to your face shape and size, make sure that the glasses are safe and they offer you protection from sunlight, UV rays, dust, and dirt.
Important eyewear for sports
You may be shocked to know that every year more than 40,000 sports-related eye injuries come up in an emergency room. Out of these, 90% of these injuries could be prevented by using right eyewear.
Any sports item like a ball, or a flying object can lead to an injury. Protective eyewear is vital for sports as it keeps your eyes safe from all types of injuries. In addition to this, it also offers a sharper vision so that you can perform best in your favourite sports.
Different types of sports eyewear
Sports eyewear comes up in different varieties and forms. But, these are the major criterias that you need to keep in mind:
Coloured sunglasses are perfect for different types of outdoor activities. They offer enhancement of contrasts between objects and backgrounds. Thus, you will be able to improve your sports performance by wearing these coloured sunglasses.
These lenses are best at controlling light. These lenses are designed in such a way that it can automatically change colour when moving outdoors from indoors.
Glasses with AR coating
The best part about sunglasses with AR coating is that it can easily eliminate the glare from the sunlight that is behind you. Lenses with mirror coating in the front can block almost 10% of the 60% visible light and offer you a comfortable vision.
Features to look in a sports eyewear
If you want an eyewear for sports purposes, the regular sunglasses and prescription lenses won’t offer you the needed level of protection. Thus, it is important to look for an eyewear that can serve its purpose well. Different types of eyewear are designed for different purposes. For example, the eyewear that you will need for racket sports won’t work well when you want to go cycling. Thus, you need to look at different features when choosing a sports eyewear:
- The sports eyewear should be designed in such a way that it can use a helmet whenever required.
- Polycarbonate is an important impact-resistant material that can protect your eyes from fast-moving objects. Thus, when choosing racquet sports, try to choose an eyewear with polycarbonate material.
- It is also important to know whether the eyewear contains rubbing padding to cushion the frame or not.
- Look for sports eyewear that is wrapped slightly around your face and contoured in such a way that it is suitable for sailing and biking.
- Choose lenses that allow better clarity during the game so that your overall performance can be improved.
How to care for your sports eyewear?
Just having sports eyewear is not important. You also need to care for your eyewear so that it can offer you protection.
- The first thing that you need to keep in mind is to keep your eyewear in a case if it’s not on your face. This way, your eyewear will remain scratch free for many years.
- If your eyewear falls into mud or dirt, give it a quick rinse before wiping the lenses. When you are wiping it, make sure to use a microfiber cloth or an optical cleaner. You may think that using a t-shirt or towel is a good way, but it can scratch your lenses over time.
- Your doctors may not suggest a helmet visor in the prescription. But having a helmet visor over your glasses can prevent the glasses from getting scratched.
- You need to take extra care of your sports eyewear during summer months. This is because sunlight can cause the glasses with plastic frames to get distorted and it can also lead to cracking of lenses. Thus, make sure to keep your eyewear at the right temperature. You can also replace the plastic frame of your eyewear with a metal one.
Keeping all these tips will enable you to keep the same eyewear for many years.